We're attempting to be better missionaries also, working harder on the language, talking to our English students about discussions, and going out one evening a week with the young missionaries.
I had a commitment from another one of our students to let the missionaries talk with him and his wife. He walks 3 km every morning at 5:30 a.m. and I'm going to walk with him on Tuesday morning to work out the details. So far we don't have any rejections, but we don't have any baptisms either.
I decided to put in a picture of one of the colorful spiders that live in our neighborhood. They build huge web networks and then wait for something to get caught in them. By clicking on the picture you can blow it up to get a better look. This one was above the bushes out in front of the mission office.
This past week 7 new Elders arrived, one from Japan and 6 from the U.S. We now have them started on their way and go back to a regular schedule for another six weeks. New missionaries create a domino effect that results in many of the missionaries moving on transfer day, either to pick up one of the new elders or to make a shift so that everyone has the proper companion. We lost one of our office elders, Elder Shurilla. He went to the north of the mission as a zone leader. Elder Porter is our newest office missionary. We will enjoy working with him. He's a great young man. We also had 4 missionaries leave to go home. Transfers are getting easier for us since this is the 4th one that we have done.
It's hard to believe that we've been here for 4 months or that we've been full-time missionaries for 5 months. Despite the work load and stresses accompanying our work, we're really enjoying our experiences. It's great to see people embrace the gospel and follow the Savior. The Nagamachi Sisters had another baptism last Sunday and had another lady commit to baptism this past week. If that baptism goes through, they will have had 7 baptisms since we came in May. I wonder if the elders are getting a complex. They haven't had one in that time.
As we've told you earlier, when we discovered the kerosine leak from the tank sitting on the carpet in our living room, we took the tank out, removed the carpet as well as the plywood underneath, and replaced everything. We're now finished except for re-connecting the tank. It looks nice even though I'm not much of a carpet layer.
We discovered that we could watch general conference on our laptop, so Ruth watched the woman's conference and then this morning we got up early and watched the Saturday sessions before we went to church. We'll be able to get up early and see the Sunday sessions in the morning. Isn't that exciting about the new temples--especially the one in Rome! Who'd have thought? The majority of members here don't get to see it until next weekend when the Japanese DVDs arrive.
We would appreciate your comments about Conference. Could each family share with us something they learned that will make an impact in their lives? I hope we will all rededicate ourselves to living the gospel a little better than we ever have before. I also hope we will remember that the Savior is there to help us when the going gets rough. We love you all and share our testimonies to the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is only through obedience to all the commandments and enduring to the end that we can experience true joy in this life and in the life to come.
Love,
Dad andMom (aka Dale & Ruth and Elder & Sister Hansen)
3 comments:
It's been awhile since I've taken the opportunity to look at the blog. Life's been busy with my trip to Indiana, my new calling, etc. It's easy to let time get away from me.
Thanks for your posts. It is nice to see your pictures and hear about your experiences. I'm glad you are having such a great experience. It is a unique opportunity to serve the Lord full time, and I'm glad you are working hard and enjoying your mission.
I also enjoyed General Conference very much. I felt the Spirit a great deal. I needed some recharging, so to speak, so it was a very nice weekend for me. I think one of the talks that will have the most impact on me was the talk on prayer by Elder Bednar. I particularly liked how he suggested we link our morning prayers to our prayers in our heart throughout the day, and then to our evening prayers. His talks on prayer the last two conferences have helped me better focus on the quality of my prayers. We are also trying to help our children be more reverent during prayers. I am grateful to have the opportunity to pray to a loving Father in Heaven. I have felt His love for me very strongly recently, for which I am very thankful. It is sometimes hard to imagine how he can love me so much when I can be so unlovable at times. I am thankful for His patience and gentle nudgings to be better.
Keep up the good work! I love you and am thankful for your service. Enjoy it as much as you can, as it goes by so quickly.
Talk to you soon,
Ryan
I have to agree with Ryan about Elder Bednar's talk about prayer. I have thought about it everyday since conference.
Another of the talks that stood out for me was President Monson's talk about change. When David was out of town last week, I had been feeling overwhelmed with my children and feeling like nothing ever gets done. In his talk, President Monson said the we need to have "joy in the journey" and pointed out that our children will grow up and then we will miss those years. I'm grateful that I can be a mother and be home with my children. I don't want to wish these years away. I am trying to do what the prophet said and decide what is important and what is not and enjoy each phase of my life. There were other talks that stood out to me too, but for this stage in my life, President Monson's message really impacted me.
Ryan-did you get a new calling I haven't heard about?
My dad did get a new calling that you didnt hear about, Kristy. Sorry that I had to answer for my dad, but knowing him he probably wont answer. Grandma and Grandpa, that is a funky spider.
Post a Comment