Thursday, July 31, 2008

It has been quite a while since I prepared a posting, so here's a new one composed of both mission and neighborhood items. Our ward is continuing to have baptisms, with the 5th person being baptized since we arrived 2 months ago. It's great to see them embrace the gospel. The last to join was a young woman in her early 30's. Hansen Shimai got to sit in on her last lesson.

We had a great zone conference and afterwards, the Elders and Sisters all lined up their cameras for me to take the pictures. I hope they turned out as I only snapped each one a single time. Ours turned out ok so it's here for your review.

We spoke in church on July 27, and were called and set apart as teachers - Mom to teach Relief Society and me to teach Gospel Principles one time each month. It will be interesting to see how well we can communicate since our Japanese is still rudimentary. Well, at least we can give it a try. Mom went visiting teaching with a ward member who took her to lunch. They went quite a distance out of town for one of their visits. I think they really enjoyed it, and so did the people they visited.
A chapel is being dedicated this weekend in Misawa, a city at the very northern end of our mission. President and Sister Tateoka invited us to go, so that is a great treat for us. We leave on Saturday and don't get back until next Tuesday. We'll inspect missionary apartments as well as participate in the branch activities.




Now for a few community items. Notice how the cars are backed into the parking spaces. This is the standard practice. In fact it's rare when you see one facing into the parking spot. We had to practice before we could do it well, but we're getting just like the natives. My companion is even getting the knack of driving on the left and backing into the parking spaces. Here is a picture of a spider web in the top of a bush. It is so humid that water clings to the spider webs makes it possible to photograph them.
We're enjoying our mission and appreciate all that you do for us. Congratulations to Matt and Hailey on your baptisms this coming weekend. We wish that we could be there, but to quote your Uncle Ryan, "My grandparents didn't come to my baptism, and it was still valid." We love you and hope everything is going well.
Love Grandma and Grandpa Hansen




4 comments:

kristi said...

So are you teaching in English or Japanese? That will be a good experience for you both. How big is the spider for that web?

Dale and Ruth said...

We are teaching in English. Dad made it sound like we'd have to teach in Japanese. The Bishop told us not to worry about the language--the missionaries could translate for us. I told Sister Larsen I was sorry about that, but she said it was okay. I know it is harder for them to translate into Japanese than the other way around. When the counselor in the bishopric set us apart on Sunday, he had the missionaries come in so they could translate what he said. That was kind of him.

Dad says the spider for that web (at least the one he saw)was about the size of a daddy long legs.

We are frustrated when we try to insert pictures into the blog. They never go where we put them with the dialog. Is there a trick we need to know? Katie Shepard put tons of pictures on their blog and they all lined up.

kristi said...

Sorry, I'm no expert with inserting pictures. Maybe play around with the picture layout. They do give you a couple of options. I think the way you are doing it is fine. Sorry I'm no help.

ryan hansen said...

Sorry I'm not very good at posting and commenting. I really enjoy to read the blog. Thanks for keeping us updated! We'll try to do better.